Wednesday, August 26, 2009

School Days

Andrew is getting back into the swing of things at "big kid school" (or McLaurin Elementary, as you might know it). This is his second year in the Montessori program and I honestly could not be happier with the school, the program, his teacher, the principal and his progress. I am sure I have blogged about this before but I hope that every parent in Florence knows how unbelievably blessed we are to have this program in our PUBLIC school program. Florence District One schools definitely have room for improvement but I am one parent who would rather be part of the solution than part of the problem. I won't get on my soapbox, so let me just say this...Florence has a lot of fantastic schools with fantastic teachers and principals. There are also some schools with room for improvement. It is up to the parents and the community as a whole to help better our schools and, in turn, improve the city of Florence. I am thrilled that our School Board has voted to build new schools and replace some existing ones. While I am somewhat biased, as my dad is a board member, and I am not whole-heartedly thrilled at the idea of paying higher taxes on my home, I know with every ounce of my being, that this is going to make a huge difference in our childrens' education and will help make Florence a better place to live. Better schools bring better business which bring better jobs.
Stepping down from the soapbox...
Andrew was not quite as thrilled about the start of the school year as he was last year. Last year it was all new and exciting. Now he tells me "Big kid school is boring. All we do are lessons." He grumbles a little but he has fun with his friends and he is so proud of himself when he learns something new. I took him to McLaurin's Skate Night this week. It was his first time skating and I would not be surprised if he had a bruised bottom. He kept laughing at himself when he fell, which was quite a lot. He is already asking when we can go again.
Henry is on his way to potty-training. He wakes up dry almost every single morning but he never wants to go potty when we ask him. If we can get him on the potty he goes and goes and goes until I think he is never going to stop. I don't know how a little guy can hold it so long!
Jacob is starting to scoot all around. He pulls himself with his arms, with his little belly flat on the floor. He has just started getting up on his knees a little, so it won't be long at all until he crawls.
My little boys are getting so big. I am already planning Andrew's FIFTH birthday party. It makes me proud, yet sad all at the same time. Sometimes I just wish they could stay little.

No comments:

Post a Comment