Monday, September 14, 2009

How to melt a Mommy's heart...

“I love you” may be the sweetest words ever uttered by a child. Andrew is now getting to the age that he will occasionally say “Mommy?” “Yes, Andrew?” “I love you.”
Oh my sweet boy, I love you too! There are days when he is so tired and frustrated that he is just cranky. He gets ill with me, I get ill with him and sometimes I yell. (I never claimed to be a perfect parent.) He starts crying and runs to me. I brace because he could be charging at me to hit me, which happens on occasion. Other times, he grabs me and hugs me and says “I love you Mommy,” through his tears. It breaks my heart and melts it all at the same time. We have had the talk numerous times that I will always love him, no matter what. When he tells me he isn’t my friend anymore I respond “That’s okay, I’m still your Mommy and I still love you.” I won’t say it doesn’t sting a little when he tells me that, but I know that God gave me my children so that I could be their mother, not their friend.
Henry is, of course, two years old. When I say “I love you Henry” he responds “I luh you toooo.” And follows it with the biggest grin because he knows he can wiggle his way right into my hear with that grin. This morning, for the first time, Henry piped up, without being prompted “I luh you Mommy!” I said “I love you too, Henry!” To which he responded “I luh you toooo!”
Now I have to wait patiently to hear Jacob tell me those three beautiful words. For now I’ll settle for “mamamama,” which is pretty amazing to hear coming from that precious little mouth.
Hearing Ed tell me he loves me is a little bit of a different story. We often say it out of habit. Heading out the door to work we both say “I love you” almost as an afterthought. Just before we fall asleep, another “I love you.” It is the times that he looks at me out of the blue and says “I love you baby” that I am 100% sure he absolutely means it and it is coming straight from his heart.
These are the moments I live for. I am not positive, but I may be the luckiest woman on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment