Today was Henry's big day in "surgery" to have his teeth removed. It really went well, all things considered. We had to be at the hospital at 9:30 and the poor little fella couldn't eat or drink anything this morning. He kept asking for cereal in his Mickey Mouse bowl and when I told him we had to wait until after he saw the dentist he seemed satisfied. Until I was in the shower and he came in the bathroom, dragging the step ladder behind him saying he needed help. When I asked why he needed it, he said he was going to get his cereal. We put the step ladder away, but just a little while later I walked in the kitchen and found him pulling out the peanut butter and a loaf of bread getting ready to make a sandwich!
When we got to the hospital, Ed was sitting at a table in the waiting room and Henry asked when we were going to eat. He just couldn't understand why we wouldn't let him eat breakfast. We got him all checked in and up to his room to wait for the dentist. Everyone we talked to loved his slippers, which are The Wiggles' Big Red Car. He was having so much fun talking to all the nurses and doctors. When it was time for him to go, he even gladly hopped up on the bed with his stuffed dog "Little George." He was perfectly fine until the bed started rolling and he realized that we weren't coming with him. I was not prepared for that either. I had assumed that we would stay with him until they put him to sleep, but we had to stay in the room and wait for him. Henry started crying and saying "I want Mommy!" Of course, then Mommy started crying too. I felt sad and scared and helpless that I couldn't be there with my little boy when he wanted me.
Luckily, it was a very quick procedure. Within an hour the dentist was back in the room telling us that everything went perfectly. Just a few minutes after she left, they were calling from the recovery room saying we could come see him. They had warned us that he would probably be cranky when he woke up and as soon as the doors to the recovery room opened I could hear him crying for Mommy. I could not get in that hospital bed with him fast enough! It took just a little while to get him to stop sniffling and he was pretty out of it for a good while. He was in a daze and alternated between watching TV and trying to doze off. When he woke up a little he was ready for his popsicles! We made him get up and go to the potty. He just started wearing big boy underwear a few days ago so I put a diaper on him, anticipating that he would have an accident while he was under anesthesia. I am proud to report that he was completely dry!
After we got home, he did get throw up, but then immediately said he was hungry. He had a little snack, laid down in my bed to watch TV, and fell asleep for three hours! And again, when he woke up, he was completely dry! My big boy!
Overall, it was a very long day for all of us and I am so glad to have this behind us. Now we just have to wait for a few more years for his permanent teeth to come in!
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment